At a glance
The Advanced Analytics & AI Center of Expertise (CoE) is a comprehensive department, part of the Customer Digital Engagement organization in ABN AMRO bank.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our Advanced Analytics & AI CoE as Lead data scientist and team lead. He/she will be responsible for leading a growing team of data scientists, working on problems of diverse scope and complexity ranging from moderate to substantial (including bank-wide solutions) mainly in support of Wealth management customers.
To be successful in this role, the lead data scientist and team lead needs to support key business objectives, as well as educate stakeholders on data science use cases, methods and ethics, while motivating and inspiring his or her own team. The lead data scientist and team lead has a strong track record of expertise in the field of AI and ML, as well as core product ownership skills. He/she helps identify and prioritize the highest value applications for ML and do what it takes to make them successful. The lead data scientist and team lead plans and executes the necessary AI/ML-driven process changes and initiatives necessary to deliver a complete solution to a stated business problem most often contributing to superior customer experience. He/she is also responsible for leading the team, including setting up and following best practices of the way of working of an efficient and professional data science team.
- Identify key stakeholders and prioritize how data science and artificial intelligence (AI) can contribute to their strategic business initiatives. In addition, focus on the ethical implications of data science and AI, and manage the risks associated with it
- Develop, foster and motivate a data-driven culture by conducting deep-dive workshops, “hackathons” and high-level presentations that explain data science and AI techniques, as well as manage their hype
- Inspire, motivate and manage the careers of team members — for example, by enabling team members to work on moonshot projects or further their education, and not just deliver projects
- Be able to clearly articulate, in business not technical terms, the value proposition of the work, how data science capabilities enable the business objectives, pulling of the value levers specific to individual business goals & objectives
- Understand the need to deliver incremental value quickly and consistently across multi-year roadmaps
- Own key initiatives and deliverables especially in Data Science application development and deployment in cloud-based environments. Be able to develop and deploy these solutions and demonstrate technical maturity that others can learn from
- Act as an “external facing” business partner whose combined expertise in Data Science and AI enables the development of custom Data Science/ ML/ AI (bank-wide) solutions
- Partner with project and product managers/owners to assemble a cross-functional team of data experts, data scientists, and technology experts to design and deliver Data Science solutions that meet business needs
- Partner with project and product managers/owners to monitor and measure the business impact of Data Science deliverables, implementing changes as/when appropriate, to continuously improve reliability and efficiency of e.g., models
- Partner with several IT departments to prioritise the needs to operationalize models in Production
- Foster a collaborative team environment, guide more junior data scientists and help them shape and achieve their learning needs and goals.
We empower the Front-Office organization with data services and data products. We do so with state-of-the-art data & analytics that combine required disciplines, expertise and capabilities from two CoE’s, BI & Analytics and Advanced Analytics & AI. On behalf of our data analysts, data scientists, analytics translators, ML engineers and together with our stakeholders and collaborators, we aim to super-charge ABN AMRO’s relationship with every single customer. We enable ABN AMRO to deliver personalized and seamless experiences to its customers across all touchpoint by providing insights and capabilities needed to understand and anticipate customer needs, optimize the customer experience and drive customer loyalty and growth.
- Masters degree (PhD not required but could be a plus) in a quantitative field (Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, Engineering, Data Science, Econometrics) and 8+ years’ of relevant Data Science and managerial experience
- Ability to build collaborative relationships with stakeholders and diverse, cross-functional teams/organizations to define requirements, scope and delivery timeframes, driving on-time execution
- Knowledge and experience in statistical analysis packages like Python, Spark, and in developing and operationalizing advanced analytics/machine learning solutions
- Knowledge in the machine learning domain
- Advanced ability to leverage technology e.g., SQL, Python to extract and manipulate (large) data, derive insights to deliver business value
- 5+ years project management/ leadership experience
- Familiarity with AI/ ML strategy development, business plan implementation and ongoing scale/evolution management of models
- Strong analytical thinker with ability to deliver high-quality work in a structured, disciplined and time-conscious manner
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills in English (command of Dutch is a plus)
- Ability to operate in both strategic and tactical environments, accommodating for global-level needs
- Experience in guiding team members, less from a technical more from soft skills perspective.
- e-Commerce experience
- Microsoft Azure (ML and AI) experience
- Experience in analyzing, designing and implementing large scale business and performance management solutions.
We are offering
- We offer you a challenging position in a professional environment in which you get the opportunity to be the best version of yourself. You will be able to gain a lot of knowledge of the financial field and further develop your leadership and data science skills
- A good monthly salary based on a 40-hour working week
- A position that offers a lot of opportunities for professional development
- The ability to work partly remote
- We help you to stay fit & vital
- An additional benefit budget of 11%, with which you can buy flexible terms of employment
- A personal development budget of € 1,000 per year
- An annual public transport ticket for unlimited travel
- A good pension scheme
- A great organization with a great work culture
- Interesting work and challenging projects
- A team that likes to help, supplement and strengthen each other
This role will be located in Amsterdam. Are you interested? Please respond to this vacancy now. For more information about the role, please contact Alexandra Caraghiulea, Director data analytics and customer dialogues orchestration ([email protected]). For more information about the recruitment process, please contact Robert van den Boogaard, Talent Acquisition Specialist ([email protected]).
Equal opportunities for all
The success of our organisation depends on the quality of our people and the ideas that they have. Truly surprising insights and innovative solutions for our clients result from an interplay of cultures, knowledge and experience. Diversity is therefore extremely important to our organisation. To ensure that everyone at ABN AMRO can develop their talents, we encourage an inclusive culture in which all colleagues feel engaged and appreciated.
Disclaimer external recruitment agencies
External recruitment agencies need to have a signed agreement with ABN AMRO BANK N.V., executed by a Talent Acquisition Specialist, when submitting a resume to a vacancy. In addition, a recruitment agency can only submit a resume when invited by a Talent Acquisition Specialist to join the search for a right candidate. All unsolicited resumes sent to us will be considered property of ABN AMRO BANK N.V. In this case, ABN AMRO will not be held liable to pay a placement fee.