Trainer on Research Data Management & Digital skills
36-40 hours | Delft
Join the Research Data & Software Team at TU Delft as trainer for research data management and digital skills for reproducible research.
As a Trainer on research data management (RDM) and digital skills for reproducible research your main task is to create, organise and provide training to PhD candidates and researchers at TU Delft.
You will be part of a trainers team that will be organising and providing the Research Data Management 101 course for PhD candidates at TU Delft, but you will also have the opportunity to provide training through our Carpentries workshops and other courses/workshops according to your RDM and digital skills field of expertise.
Part of your role will be contributing to the ‘Vision for Research Data Management Training at TU Delft’ and continuously work on implementing it. This gives you the opportunity to bring your ideas on new courses that can be created and embedded in the vision. To do this, you will work closely with the Faculty Data Stewards, the Digital Competence Centre team and collaborate with researchers and with the Teachers and Trainers Network at TU Delft Library.
TU Delft Library has strong links to other organisations nationally and internationally, meaning that you will also have ample opportunities to engage in development and delivery of courses and training collaborations together with other partners and to strengthen your own networks.
Your main tasks will be:
- Organisation and delivery of training on research data management and digital skills for reproducible research at TU Delft (e.g. RDM 101, software/data carpentries, Personal Data in Research, CodeRefinery, Training for supervisors)
- Development and implementation of new courses on research data management and digital skills for reproducible research at TU Delft
- Engaging in collaboration and training delivery with internal and external collaborators, as appropriate
- Engaging in relevant national and international initiatives/communities related to training/education development and skills for RDM and digital skills for reproducible research
- Take part in the evaluation and bring improvement proposals to the training on research data management and digital skills for reproducible research at TU Delft
- Participating in the activities of the TU Delft Library Teachers and Trainers Network
We are looking for enthusiastic candidates who:
- Have experience organising, providing and developing training, face-to-face and online, to PhD candidates and Researchers
- Have knowledge on Research Data Management and Digital skills for reproducible research and enjoy following recent trends in these fields
- Have excellent communication skills to liaise with researchers, data stewards and other stakeholders on current and future training needs
- Enjoy working as part of a team in a collaborative manner
- Strive to create an open, safe and interactive learning environment within the training sessions
- Are willing to advance and learn new skills to develop and provide training (e.g. educational skills, software management skills, personal data within RDM )
- Have an MSc degree or equivalent understanding of the research environment and processes; PhD degree would be a plus
- Have a good command of English, written and spoken (If not a Dutch speaker, a willingness to learn Dutch to level A2)
- Desirable: Are familiar with an open source programming language (e.g. R and/or Python)
- Optional: Are familiar with software/data carpentry workshops
Conditions of employment
- Duration of contract is 3 years.
- A job of 36-40 hours per week.
- A salary based on scale 10 of the CAO for Dutch Universities with a minimum of €2.960,- and a maximum of €4.670,- gross per month based on a fulltime contract (38 hours), plus 8% holiday allowance and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3%.
- An excellent pension scheme via the ABP.
- The possibility to compile an individual employment package every year.
- Discount with health insurers.
- Flexible working week.
- Every year, 232 leave hours (at 38 hours). You can also sell or buy additional leave hours via the individual choice budget.
- Plenty of opportunities for education, training and courses.
- Partially paid parental leave
- Attention for working healthy and energetically with the vitality program.
- Please note that this position is based in the Netherlands (working remotely from abroad is not possible). EU citizenship or a European working permit is required to apply.
TU Delft (Delft University of Technology)
Delft University of Technology is built on strong foundations. As creators of the world-famous Dutch waterworks and pioneers in biotech, TU Delft is a top international university combining science, engineering and design. It delivers world class results in education, research and innovation to address challenges in the areas of energy, climate, mobility, health and digital society. For generations, our engineers have proven to be entrepreneurial problem-solvers, both in business and in a social context.
At TU Delft we embrace diversity as one of our core values and we actively engage to be a university where you feel at home and can flourish. We value different perspectives and qualities. We believe this makes our work more innovative, the TU Delft community more vibrant and the world more just. Together, we imagine, invent and create solutions using technology to have a positive impact on a global scale. That is why we invite you to apply. Your application will receive fair consideration.
Challenge. Change. Impact!
University Corporate Office – TU Delft Library
TU Delft Library is the largest technical-scientific library in the Netherlands, a physical and virtual meeting place. The Library helps to find valuable knowledge needed for education and research, and to publish and store the knowledge generated at TU Delft. We believe it is important that knowledge is easily accessible and freely available to everyone. In this way, knowledge can flow freely and TU Delft’s knowledge can become valuable to others. The Library is also a place where everyone can study in peace and quiet. This fits in with our inclusive organisation. The Library has chosen three strategic themes to guide its daily activities. 1) Open Science. We make an important contribution to TU Delft’s broad strategic programme “Open Science – Research and Education in the Open Era”. 2) Visibility and impact. With our expertise and tools in the field of research data management, research intelligence and publishing, we increase the findability, visibility and impact of TU Delft knowledge. 3) Inspiring learning and working environment. Through stimulating programming, we show how freely available and reliable knowledge makes life richer. This makes the Library a place where you can find new ideas and insights.
For more information about this position, please contact Paula Martinez Lavanchy at [email protected].
Are you interested in this vacancy? To apply, please use the application button and upload your CV (max. 2 pages) along with a letter of motivation (max. 2 pages) by March 10th, 2023. Please ensure that your documents are in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
- You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
- Please do not contact us for unsolicited services.