Lely, founded in 1948, directs all its efforts towards creating a sustainable, profitable and enjoyable future in farming. Circling the cow, the company develops premium robotics and data systems that increase animal welfare, flexibility and the production on the dairy farm. For more than 25 years, Lely has been leading in the sale and service of automated milking systems to successive generations of dairy farmers across the globe. Every day, Lely inspires her employees to offer customers innovative solutions and be a reliable partner for long-term advice and support. With her Head office in The Netherlands and a worldwide network of dedicated Lely Center locations for tailor-made sales and support, the Lely Group is active in more than 40 countries and employs around 1.200 people.
As a Lead Data Science & Analytics you are responsible to get insights from 30,000 active data systems, of which 90% are available in real time. Now that’s interesting data!
In this position you will guide the data science & analytics team in our mission to create the automated and sustainable farm of the future. Being a family-owned company, Lely always works on long term goals and ambitions. With only 3% of worldwide dairy farms robotized the opportunities are limitless. We help making the life of the dairy farmers more enjoyable, sustainable, and enjoyable as one of the most innovative Dutch international companies. Check the recap of our latest ‘yellow revolutions’ in Diary Farming here:
Truly a (diary) world changing mission!
As a Chapter lead in Lely you will face a big variety of meaningful challenges. You can think of following challenges:
- How we can make an autonomous feeding robot become more sustainable?
- Can we predict and optimize the influence of certain types of nutrition on milk quality?
- How do we set up a predictive maintenance closed loop?
- What is the best way to support the growth of competences of our Data Scientist?
- How can we balance preprocessing of our video footage and data storage in the Cloud?
- How can we scale and maintain our growing number of ML solutions?
Apart from creating a pragmatic vision and a practical roadmap, it is your task to develop the best performing team possible. To make this happen: you lead by example, but also coach, inspire and develop your team members! Organized in a chapter and working in a Product organization, the Data Scientist and Data Analyst work on many different projects with other disciplines, including (embedded) software and mechanical engineering.
Your scope is both the Data Analyst & Scientist in HQ (HR responsible) and the work done by our partners like Datamole (a dedicated Data & AI company in Prague >65 fte), that was started and supported by Lely 7 years ago). Datamole allows us to tap in a highly trusted and top-level Data & AI group to back you up. Together with Data Analytics and Data Engineering you are part of the Data & AI Competence group within Lely.
- Lead, grow and develop the Data Science & Analytics teams (>>16-20 specialists).
- End responsible for the Analytics & Science solutions.
- Give direction and provide input for the integrated Product roadmap.
- Assess and monitor project goals, architecture and setup on all projects.
- Build strong relationship with our partners & investigate new worldwide partnerships.
- Hands on coaching on DS projects & tuning the Way of Working.
- Keep evolving our Data & AI infrastructure (together with Data Engineering).
You have experience as a Data Science lead and you know what is out there. But you would like to make a real difference and build on a shared dream in a strong innovative and family culture company which huge potential. If you really want to make a change in sustainable automated farming, this is for you! Want to know more? Check this introduction from our Head of Data & AI:
- You have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Computer Science (or a similar study).
- You have at least 3 years of experience with software engineering – bonus points if you have experience with embedded systems.
- You are willing to gain some knowledge of CAN bus protocols and microcontroller programming in C.
- You have experience with the C++ programming language and are familiar with Python 3.6 and above.
- Knowledge of ROS 2 is a plus.
- You have working knowledge of Linux and Git.
- Experience in working in multidisciplinary Agile Scrum teams.
- Affinity with mechatronics is a plus.
- EU-citizenship is required.
A job for a true inventor, at a company driven by innovation. You will see your ideas come to life as they leave the factory to our customer, the dairy farmer. At the end you will contribute to a sustainable way of farming.
- flexibility in terms of working times and conditions;
- variety one day you will be at the workshop, another day on the farm and the next day you will work at the main office;
- the space and freedom to innovate, construct new ideas and tinker in our workshop;
- 40 holidays per year;
- the tastiest coffee you will ever drink, courtesy of our barista;
- time for fun: table football, volleyball and a basketball court.
Apply now by using the ‘Apply’ button.